Sunday, June 21, 2015

Blog for 6-21



Blog for the week of 6-21

This week has been recovery week.  I finally feel as though I made some progress in catching up with the rest of the class.  I even had some time to visit the Teachers showcase on Thursday and help out.  It was nice to see some old friends from other classes.  Good to see other students that have had our class and have gone through the same things that we are going through. 
                I have been thinking about some advice that former students provided along the way through this journey.  One person told me to try not to let the scope of the study get too big, and another told me the scope of the project was too small.  The question to determine is, both have merit, so do I try to broaden the scope of the project or do I continue the same road?  Only time will tell.
                The class is heading into revision week.  One thing that I have found, in my last couple of classes, is that individuals do not turn in the best work to be peer reviewed.  In my qualitative analysis class the person who wrote a two-page paper on an event in which she participated, had sixty five spelling and grammar issues and a sentence that just stopped in mid-stream.  I also have had the case where my paper was never peered reviewed or people did not turn in papers at all.  My hope is that everyone turns in a paper that is ready for peer review. 
                We are coming to the end of the class, and I feel as though I have learned that by having an outline, it makes it easier to write and stay on target for completing a scholarly work.  I also picked up the tip from someone in the class, to list the annotated bibliographies in the outline to help out with cohesiveness.   If I may impart some wisdom for the group regarding a piece of software that is not too terribly expensive, is a product called X-1.  It is $70 for a single license.  X-1 will go and index all documents, including all MS Office, and PDF documents.  It also indexes all e-mails and will make them be searchable.  If you are looking for the word “Memphis,” that you used in an e-mail two- years-ago, it will find it.  If you're looking for a word in a PDF article for this class, it will tell you the name of the document and show you where it was used in the PDF. 

No comments:

Post a Comment